1 October, 2019
Fagor Industrial obtains ISO 45001 certification
Having an Occupational Health and Safety Management System is very important for any business, since it brings key benefits such as a reduced accident rate in the workplace. Moreover, by integrating company management systems, occupational health and safety becomes a strategic focus which is regularly monitored.
Thanks to the identification and evaluation of the possible risks involved in each position, potential accidents and illnesses can be prevented since the underlying causes are known and can be avoided.
At Fagor Industrial, occupational health and safety has always been a top priority for the organisation. We have been certified with the OHSAS 18001 standard since 2007, and we have recently been awarded ISO 45001 certification.
The OHSAS 18001 regulation brings together international standards to regulate workplace safety, and it outlines the conditions that should govern health and safety aspects in order to effectively minimise risks and incidents.
Currently, all companies that hold OHSAS 18001 certification must move to the new ISO 45001 standard, technically known as migration, which obliges them to carry out several changes to adapt to the new requirements in a period of three years (with a deadline of March 2021).
The implementation of ISO 45001 brings various improvements within the Occupational Health and Safety Management System of the companies and cooperatives:
- Strengthening of the business strategy and leadership of Senior Management
- Increased importance of developing the context of the organisation
- More effective risk management which considers both negative and positive aspects, taking advantage of the opportunities that are generated through this
- Promotion of a preventive culture in the organisations, at all levels and positions
- Increased strictness of legal requirements, providing evidence to demonstrate fulfilment
- Obligation to generate management records of indicators to demonstrate fulfilment of the continuous improvement objectives
Currently, of the 92 cooperatives that make up Osarten, 22 cooperatives are certified with the OHSAS 18001 standard; 6 cooperatives have carried out migration to the ISO 45001 certification (including Fagor Industrial); and the rest do not have an Occupational Health and Safety Management System.